This class will teach you the fundamentals and principles of the Pilates method. The exercises performed on a mat help improve balance & posture, while toning muscles. The exercises help to prevent injury, enhance sports conditioning, and improve athletic performance. Pilates is effective for pre and post-natal fitness.
Tuesday / Thursday 8:15am – 9am
No Class: 9/25, 9/27
Zumba is an aerobic fitness program featuring movements inspired by various styles of Latin American dance and performed primarily to Latin American dance music.
Monday / Wednesday: 6pm – 7pm
Meet the Instructor!
“My name is Chelsi Ruiz, I was born and raised here in Madras. I’m a mother of two very energetic boys, ages 5 and 4. Since I was a child I have always been athletic, participating in a variety of sports as well as dance. My dance background started at the very young age of 5 and continued throughout my high school years. When Zumba finally came along and grabbed my attention it combined my two passions, dancing and fitness. The goal for my class is to get your body moving and to have fun! Don’t be shy, come and join the party!”
American Red Cross Lifeguard Class
Date and Time: Classes are held 2 times per year during Winter Break and Spring Break. Winter break class schedule coming soon.
Price: MAC Member $145, In $167, Out $189. Lifeguard manual is included. Scholarships available.
The purpose of the American Red Cross Lifeguarding course is to provide entry-level lifeguarding participants with the knowledge and skills to prevent, recognize and respond to aquatic emergencies and to provide care for breathing and cardiac emergencies, injuries and sudden illness until emergency medical services personnel take over. To enroll in the lifeguarding course, you must be at least 15 years old before the last day scheduled class session. To participate in the course, you must be able to pass a prerequisite skills evaluation (will be done 1st day of class) that includes the following:
- Swim 300 yards continuously demonstrating breath control and rhythmic breathing. You may swim using front crawl, breaststroke or a combination of both but swimming on your back or side is not allowed. Swim goggles may be used for this skill
- Tread water for 2 minutes using only the legs. Candidates should place their hands under armpits.
- Complete a timed event within 1 minute 40 seconds.
- Starting in the water, swim 20 yards. Swim goggles are not allowed.
- Surface dive, feet first or head first to a depth of 7-10 feet to retrieve a 10-pound diving brick.
- Return to the surface and swim 20 yards on your back, returning to the starting point with both hands holding the brick while keeping your face at or near the surface so you are sable to breath. You should not swim the distance under water. Exit the water without using a ladder or steps.
- The prerequisite skills evaluation will occur the first day of the course. Failure to successfully complete the prerequisite skills will result in you being dropped from the class and will not receive a refund. Please bring a swimsuit and towel for the skills evaluation and for every class.
- To successfully complete the course, you must attend the entire course, participate in all skill sessions/drills, activities and scenarios, demonstrate competency in all required skills and scenarios, and pass 2 final written exams with a minimum grade of 80 percent.
- The class sessions will require some strenuous activity. You are encouraged to check with your health care professional before participating in the course. If a medical condition or disability exists that might prevent participation in the course, please contact Gregg Markwardt at the MAC to discuss this before registering.
- Upon successful completion of the course, you will receive an American Red Cross certificate for Lifeguarding/First Aid/CPR/AED, valid for 2 years.
- Course location: Madras Aquatic Center 1195 SE Kemper Way
- Please be prepared to get in the pool each day. Bring a lunch and or snack each day.
- Manual will be provided to you on the first day of class
- If you have any questions please contact Gregg Markwardt at 541-475-4253or [email protected]
If you have any questions please contact Gregg Markwardt at 541-475-4253 or [email protected]