An ultimate event– combining a weekend of CAMPING, RUNNING events, topped off with the phenomenal TOTAL SOLAR ECLIPSE at a prime, private setting.
The TOTAL SOLAR ECLIPSE will occur the following day on 8/21/2017 at 10:20 am.
This is an opportunity to experience the total solar eclipse at one of the exceptional, locations to view this “life changing” natural event.
The event will be held at the Rain Shadow Ranch which is located four miles north and four miles west of Madras, Oregon. The one mile long ranch lies on the eastern rim of Lake Simtustus, in full view of Mt. Jefferson and the Cascade Mountain Range. Far from the city lights, the ranch offers a marvelous night sky.
The running events (optional) include a flat course 5K and challenging 8 mile scenic canyon run with significant ascents and descents.
The weekend will start on Saturday 8/19/17 and involve dry camping near the canyon rim. The races will be Sunday a.m. and because of heavy traffic, racers will need to be camped at the ranch or in the vicinity. On Monday, campers will experience a viewing of the 2 minute 4 second total eclipse, watching the moon shadow sweep down the flanks of Mt. Jefferson and high desert as total darkness occurs.
The three day event will also include entertainment Saturday and Sunday evening, outdoor activities, and outdoor cooking. Shuttle services to town, the fairground, shopping, and the casino at Warm Springs will be available. Tents and RV’s will be in fields near the rim with incomparable views and sense of space.
This race will be limited. Registration Deadline 6/1/2017
WHEN: Aug. 20, 7 a.m.
WHAT: 5K 8 a.m. and 8 mile run 7:30 a.m.
WHERE: Rainshadow Ranch located on the Eastern rim of Lake Simtustus. (Both races start at same location). 4441 NW Elm Ln. Madras Oregon 97741
$400 will cover 3-4 days of dry camping near the rim. Water and bathrooms will be available. Tents or RV vehicles are allowed, there are NO RV hookups on site. Solar glasses will be provided. Camp spots are 40 x 40.
$100 8 mile run
$50 (optional) covers 5 meals per person offered
Saturday evening – Tri tip with salad/slaw and other fixings.
Sunday brunch (following the races) – pancakes, eggs, and sausage.
Sunday evening- pulled pork with fixings.
Monday morning – cinnamon rolls and juice/coffee before eclipse.
Hamburgers and hot dogs following morning activities.
If you are participating in the race you will get an additional meal after the race Sunday. Meals need to be purchased before the registration deadline in order to pre order food.
For more information on shower passes and Madras Aquatic Center swimming sessions click here.
Entertainment: There will be entertainment Sunday night and Saturday night. There will also be activities such as volleyball, whiffle ball and hay rides.
Questions? Please contact Lauren Simmons (541) 771-2683
WE HOPE TO SEE YOU THERE!
5K (green) and 8 mile run (blue)
1, People can come on Friday if there are travel concerns. They will be on their own other than mingling and available facilities. They also can remain on the property for a day or so after the eclipse.
- Bathrooms will be available
- Water will be available, but camps are encouraged to bring water.
Water bottles and ice bags will be available if crowd size warrants a rental of a refrigerated trailer (is currently reserved).
- No fires, but Coleman stoves ok
- All camps will be close to the central activity areas – ranging from 100-400 yards.
- Entertainment will include a band Saturday night that plays old rock and country Western and a gifted vocal/guitar duo on Sunday evening , hopefully with a cliffside, beautiful sunset setting.
- There will be 5 shuttle buses with intervals running 30-60 minutes apart. At this point in time, it is difficult to know exact schedules because of amount of highway traffic in the area which will make travel a challenge at certain times. Because of neighborhood impact, we are discouraging the use of private vehicles once you are on the property. We have been advised that the route will include our property, the fairground, grocery stores, the Solarfest campground, the Madras Aquatic Center, and the casino in Warm Springs. The fee is expected to be $5 round trip.
- Indicate whether you are interested in a Madras Aquatic Center pass and the day of use since there are pool use limits.
- Activities will be limited to interest and crowd size. Mountain biking (puncture proof tires!) and hiking trails are immediately available with volley ball, whiffle ball, small court basketball available on demand.
- If there are medical concerns or disabilities, we need to know ahead of time.
- A private setting, a spectacular night sky, and a conscientious staff are part of the deal.
- The eclipse should be phenomenal. If it is cloudy, all we can really guarantee is that it will get really dark for 2 minutes and 4 seconds.